Independent Reading Unit
One of the state of Ohio reading standards for literature dictates that every student will “by the end of the year, read and comprehend literature…[and] literary nonfiction independently and proficiently.” In this unit, each student will be required to choose and read something independently.
· Students will independently choose a reading selection based on personal interest, knowledge of authors and genres or recommendations from others.
· Students will read selection independently in class once each week. Each student is required to complete one reading selection in each of the first and third quarters.
· Students will analyze the reading selection based on criteria presented in class.
· Students will participate in a book talk with the teacher.
1. Students will choose a reading selection. Students may choose a selection on their own, consult the list on Mrs. Bakos’ website, or follow the recommendation of a teacher, parent or fellow student.
2. Each student must have his copy of this selection in class with him every day, in particular on the reading day.
3. Every student must read for the entire assigned period in order to obtain full credit.
4. Upon the completion of the novel, each student will complete the worksheet provided in class.
5. Once the worksheet is complete, each student will engage in a book talk with Mrs. Bakos.
Students will be graded on the following:
1. Full participation on each reading day. 5 points/day
2. Completion of the worksheet for
3. Complete the book talk with Mrs. Bakos 20 points
The book talks will be graded holistically, and will be guided by the teacher. This discussion is to ensure that the student did, in fact, read the entire piece and not take the information from a classmate or other source.
Any student who completes the one required reading selection early is required to continue reading on designated reading days. That student is encouraged to complete another selection, participate in reading conferences, and finish an evaluative worksheet. After completion of the above, that student will be awarded three homework passes worth up to 10 points each.